Provincial News and Resources
Canada is currently facing an unprecedented situation and municipalities are at the frontline to address local needs and ensuring vital services are maintained. Municipal staff play a key role in responding to the crisis and have to consider what actions can be done to mitigate the economic impacts of COVID-19. To help you address the finance implications of the crisis, we have culled a list of resources from various levels of government and associations. Can't find what you're looking for? Contact email@example.com with your suggestions for additional resources. Check back regularly for new resources.
Provincial Updates on COVID-19
TVO's Coronavirus page - for daily updates on the COVID-19 crisis from regions across Ontario.
Municipal World's Coronavirus page - for updates on what local governments are doing to respond to COVID-19.
AMO Coronavirus page - for updates from AMO.
OMERS COVID-19 page - OMERS updates for employers
Letters to Municipal Stakeholders from Provincial Ministries
click for more...
- Fiscal Update - WSIB reports and payments will be deferred until August 31, 2020. Municipalities as Schedule 2 organizations are included.
- Fiscal Update - deferral of the required municipal quarterly remittance of education tax collections by 90 days. The current remittance due March 31 remains unchanged. The remittance which would have been due on June 30 is now due on September 30. The payment which had been due September 30 is now due December 30.
- Fiscal Update - the assessed values for 2021 will be based on the same valuation date as they are for 2020. There will be no financial impact for municipalities as a result of this postponement. MPAC will continue to update assessment rolls to reflect new construction. Technical details related to this postponement will be determined in the months ahead.
- March 25 - the Province released its economic and fiscal update. MFOA's summary is available here
- March 23 - the Province put in an order for the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective as of Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 p.m. This closure will be in effect for 14 days with the possibility of extending this order as the situation evolves.
- March 23 - $200 million in funding for social services relief funding. The province will be providing municipalities and organizations that administer social services with funding to support them in their response to COVID-19. The funding will help municipalities and social service providers such as shelters, food banks, emergency services, charities and non-profits continue to deliver their critical services, hire additional staff, and find ways to promote social distancing and self-isolation to keep clients safe and healthy. Ontario's municipal service managers will determine local needs and distribute the funding, ensuring clients are receiving the support they need.
- March 20 - the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing announced that the submission deadline for ERO 019-1406 (Proposed regulatory matters pertaining to community benefits authority under the Planning Act, the Development Charges Act, and the Building Code Act) has been extended to April 20, 2020. MFOA's submission is now available.