Policy Action Plan
While our attention is still focused on information sharing, intergovernmental relations, outreach and internal policy development, some of the activities making up each pillar of MFOA’s policy framework have changed and continue to evolve. As part of our continuing efforts to streamline and improve our policy work, we created this Action Plan so you can see what we are up to and what we are aiming for in the years ahead!
- Continue to build on the Virtual Library
- Feed individuals’ questions about specific legislation into the Senior Municipal Finance Advisors in the Municipal Service Offices and Subject Matter Experts
- Strike committees and organize email distribution groups to isolate priority areas, tease out issues and develop practical resources to support municipal financial management
- Provide timely synopses and municipal implications of the provincial and federal budgets.
- Inform members about provincial consultations and create avenues for participation, (e.g. invite email responses) in order to flatten provincial processes and develop consensus on issues. The information collected will be used to develop positions and recommendations in the interests of the sector, mobilize member support for enabling flexible provincial policy directions and help finance officers organize on issues that matter to them.
- Provide platforms to support member-driven initiatives, e.g. member-lead task forces, so that municipal finance officers can share council resolutions, advocacy strategies and practical advice with their peers on provincial initiatives. Look to “Explore your issues and interests"